During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people put off taking care of themselves. There are understandable reasons why, including being overwhelmed with work responsibilities, worrying about finances, juggling childcare and feeling afraid to seek non-emergency medical care during a pandemic. Beyond…
Make the New Year your “you” year
With the beginning of each new year comes the opportunity to start fresh. That may mean you’re ready to make a big change in your life—perhaps quit smoking, lose weight, exercise more, start meal planning, or maybe just focus a little more on self-care. No matter your goal, Kaiser Permanente offers resources and tools that can help you stick to your New Year’s resolutions.
Want to quit smoking?
Along with these additional tips, start small and set goals—and make sure you ask for support from family, friends, and your doctor.
- Visit kp.org/quitsmoking for tools and information to help you quit tobacco use.
- Go to kp.org/listen for inspirational podcasts.
- Work with a wellness coach* to create a customized plan for quitting.
- Ask your doctor about the Emmi® smoking cessation program.
Trying to lose weight?
Make exercise and nutrition fun rather than tedious by finding a workout buddy or enlisting your entire family to exercise and eat healthy meals with you.
- Visit kp.org/weight for resources to help you manage your weight, including a BMI calculator to determine your risk for weight-related conditions.
- Check out kp.org/listen for podcasts on how to lose weight.
- Participate in an online Nutrition for Weight Control class—visit kp.org to make an appointment.
- Work with a wellness coach* to create a customized plan to help you lose weight.
- Ask your doctor about Emmi® programs that can help you achieve your weight loss goals.
Planning to eat healthier?
Plan healthy meals and snacks for the entire week and create a list before you go grocery shopping so you don’t buy junk food on impulse.
- Visit kp.org/nutrition for tips on eating well.
- Work with a wellness coach* to create a customized plan to help you eat healthier.
Interested in being more active?
Exercise can be anything that involves movement—walk around the block during lunch, or take a class at the gym a few times a week to get your heart rate up. Encourage friends and family to get active with you.
- Visit kp.org/fitness for tools to help you stay active.
- Work with a wellness coach* to create a customized plan to help you exercise more.
Need to reduce stress?
Use resources (online or otherwise) to help determine the cause of your stress, then find ways to minimize it.
- Visit kp.org/listen to download podcasts about relaxation and stress management.
- Work with a wellness coach* to create a customized plan for reducing stress.
Start the year off right by taking advantage of the resources that Kaiser Permanente offers to help you follow through on your resolutions. Learn more about how you can reach your goals for 2020.
*Wellness coaching is available at no additional charge to Kaiser Permanente members. Call 866-862-4295, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. to make an appointment.
Do you sometimes feel too busy? Like there aren’t enough hours in the day? Kaiser Permanente is here for you. That’s why we offer Prescription Home Delivery. It’s an easy way to get most of your prescriptions delivered fast (within…
Sleep is essential for our overall health. It gives our mind and body time to relax and recharge. Studies show that getting 7 to 8 hours of regular nighttime sleep is best for maintaining good health.1 But what happens when you…
Back-to-school time is often ripe with nerves and anxiety as parents and children alike adjust to new routines. But this year promises to be more challenging given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and given that many children haven't stepped foot in…
If you’ve been to a chain grocery store lately, you might have seen a long aisle of vitamins and supplements near the pharmacy. It makes sense: There are over 90,000 different supplements available in the United States,1 and 76% of adults take at…