To protect our members from COVID-19, Kaiser Permanente continues to make testing and vaccination a priority throughout the region. We encourage all of our members to test first with an at-home (antigen) test. COVID-19 home antigen tests provide results usually within 30 minutes. These are highly accurate when you follow the manufacturer’s instructions, which include taking both tests in your kits 24-36 hours apart. Rapid tests can be used in most cases, including if you or your family:
- Have symptoms (retest after 24-48 hours if the first test result is negative)
- Have been exposed to someone who tested positive (test 5 days after exposure if no symptoms)
- Plan to attend a gathering or event, or spend time with people are at risk for serious illness
- Need to show a negative test result for return to work (employer policies may vary
If a PCR test is required by your doctor or to show for an event or activity, you may schedule an appointment at one of our medical centers that offers COVID-19 testing. Since 2020, our Advanced Urgent Care teams have conducted COVID-19 testing for members. Starting in November, that responsibility will shift to our Laboratory teams.
The medical centers below will now conduct COVID-19 testing in their lab departments. For a full list of COVID-19 testing facilities, please visit kp.org/covidtesting.
- Capitol Hill Medical Center, starting October 24
- South Baltimore County Medical Center, starting November 7
- Tysons Corner Medical Center, starting November 15
- Gaithersburg Medical Center, starting November 28
- Largo Medical Center, starting date TBD
Members will still get the same convenient care experience for COVID-19 testing. Tests will be performed by experienced staff members, and members will receive their test results within 24 hours.
Even with this shift, we still offer a variety of convenient ways for our members to get tested for COVID-19, including:
- Antigen at-home kits delivered to your home,
- PCR kits delivered to your home,
- Appointments to be swab by a lab staff member,
- Appointments for COVID-19 kit pick-up, or
- Appointments to self-swab testing.
To determine the best method of testing for you and your family, read our test guide.
Protect yourself and your loved ones this season by getting tested for COVID-19, especially before any social gatherings. You deserve to enjoy the holidays together and in good health.