During the COVID-19 pandemic, many people put off taking care of themselves. There are understandable reasons why, including being overwhelmed with work responsibilities, worrying about finances, juggling childcare and feeling afraid to seek non-emergency medical care during a pandemic. Beyond…
Is this your year to lose a few pounds? Many people select losing weight as a goal for the new year. Whether you are ready to act or still deciding, these tips can help you get started and stay on track.
Eat a healthful diet
- Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Eat at least half of your starch choices from whole grains.
- Limit your intake of high calorie, low nutrient foods, such as sweets, chips, and alcohol.
- Replace soda and juice with water.
Aim for gradual weight loss. Losing one to two pounds per week is realistic. Measure progress
- How your clothes fit.
- Inches lost.
- How you feel.
- Set realistic goals.
- Avoid making vows of always or never.
- Curtail binges as soon as you can. Do not let guilt cause you to keep eating.
- Focus on progress, not failure.
Seek support from others
- Ask family members and friends to help you.
- Talk to others with the same concerns. Join a weight management program or support group.
For more tips for a healthier you, click here.
Do you sometimes feel too busy? Like there aren’t enough hours in the day? Kaiser Permanente is here for you. That’s why we offer Prescription Home Delivery. It’s an easy way to get most of your prescriptions delivered fast (within…
Sleep is essential for our overall health. It gives our mind and body time to relax and recharge. Studies show that getting 7 to 8 hours of regular nighttime sleep is best for maintaining good health.1 But what happens when you…
Back-to-school time is often ripe with nerves and anxiety as parents and children alike adjust to new routines. But this year promises to be more challenging given the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, and given that many children haven't stepped foot in…
If you’ve been to a chain grocery store lately, you might have seen a long aisle of vitamins and supplements near the pharmacy. It makes sense: There are over 90,000 different supplements available in the United States,1 and 76% of adults take at…